The Ramblings of the Millahtime Man

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

I can't stand [insert candidate name here]

I keep hearing people say things like "Bush is stupid," or "Kerry is an idiot," or "I hate Bush." We all have our political ideals but for many it seems to have gotten very personal.

I was talking to a friend the other day and we got on the topic of politics. She told me she was going to vote for Kerry. When I asked why her response was that Bush sucks, is an idiot and she hates him. She isn't voting for Kerry because she likes his politics or because she doesn't like the politics or decisions that Bush has made. She is doing it because she has gotten herself to believe that Bush is a bad person and has gotten herself to hate him.

Personally she doesn't know Bush. She has never met him and all she knows is what she has read in the paper or seen on TV (and she has paid little attention to these). So, how can she hate him? She doesn't even know the man. To hate is a very strong deep thing that has a significant amount of emotion behind them.

In reality neither Bush or Kerry are stupid nor are they bad men. If you don't know them how can you hate them? They are both highly educated. They are both nice men according to the people that know them.

So, it comes down to political reasons. I may disagree with the politics of Bush and Kerry on the issues and that is fine. But, I will not say I hate them or that someone is a idiot or tear into them personally. To act that way shows a lack of intelegence and maturity.

So, if you vote for Kerry or Bush or someone else, do it because you agree or don't agree with the politics. Not because you don't think you like the person. We need to vote for the right reasons, not the wrong ones.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home